Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Choose fabric is hard sometimes

 

I finally picked out a fabric for 6621.  It is something that has been in my stash for a very long while, and I was edging towards getting rid of it, but I think it will work for this short.  And if it doesn’t or if the pattern doesn’t quite work out, then no loss, because I was planning on getting rid of it anyway.

It is a ‘silk’ sari I bought on ebay ages and ages ago.  I never bothered to do a burn test, but I think it is polyester.  I like the iridescence, and this photo shows the two colors pretty well.  I am not going to use the borders in the shirt, but I will save them in case another project pops into my head.

I had a really hard time picking out a pattern, because I wanted something soft and drape-y and the fabrics I can find that have the right textures are all busy prints.  I want something simple, a solid, stripe, or polka dot.  A very simple floral could work, but it would have to be *very* simple.  The only fabric I found that I really loved was cream with black polka dots.  That would be fine, except for one thing.  

Here is a photo of the shirt I already have in this style:


I don’t think I need 2 nearly identical shirts.  I already have a coworker who comments on how much purple I wear.  I certainly don’t need to begin a wardrobe of shirts with such slight variations that it looks like I am wearing a uniform.

1 comment:

  1. Have to agree with the vast problem that is iridescent polyester. My ridiculous passion for anything iridescent starts to seem pretty crazy when I don't actually want to wear the fabric! But if it's iridescent and on sale, how can I say no to it?! So it sits in my stash, too pretty to part with and too synthetic to wear. I did finally order from the most recent Silk Baron scrap sale-- I'm hoping the magnificence of the iridescent silk will make it easier to say "no" to iridescent polyester! I think that the occasional splurge on amazing fabric makes it easier to resist cheap-and-nice-but-not-perfect fabric. And if not, it's still a nice theory!

    ReplyDelete