Thursday, April 21, 2011

Velvet Bodice: part II

 What I don’t like:

Apparently, it took me a long time to figure out that you could put something other than black thread in the bobbin.  Also, this is still when I was learning to use my mom’s old sewing machine, which even on it best day was temperamental, hence all the rat’s nests of thread.  In my defense, though, even when I had learned to use a sewing machine well, this machine gave me trouble.  It just wasn’t very stable.

These grommets were horrible, but I don't think it was a result of my skill.  I just bought cheap grommets because I didn't know any better.

I didn’t do a very good job on the bias binding at the front opening.  I think this was just a function of not realizing that I didn’t have to have a right angle at the end of the binding, and for some reason I didn’t sew the bias strip I made for the straps closed.  It has never come unfolded while I was wearing it, it just seems a bit odd for it to be open, you know?
 The wrap-up:
This bodice just isn’t my style, and honestly it wasn’t really my style when I made it, but it was an early example of a problem I have had throughout my sewing career.  I was never happy with this piece, no matter how I styled it.  I let an interesting fabric throw me off course.  I liked the fabric so I came up with a plan to use it and ended up with a costume that I liked, but ideally on someone else. 

Now when I see fabric I try to ask myself “Can I see myself actually wearing this?”.  Often the answer is no, which can help me resist it.  Right now I am in the process of going through my fabric stash and asking that question about everything I already own.  For instance, I have a couple of sari that I bought off of ebay years ago.  I think they are so pretty, but I don’t see myself wearing anything made out of them and they don’t match my home décor style, either.  They are lovely, but at this point they are just taking up space.




No comments:

Post a Comment