Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Of pom poms and apartments


This post has pretty much nothing to do with sewing.

Almost a year ago, B and I moved out of a space that we really loved.  It was a converted warehouse space.  The first time I visited it, when we had only been on one date, I thought, “This is where I want to live when I grow up.”  At the time I was also living in a converted warehouse, but mine was not nearly so colorful, and came with roommates.  The space was huge, weird, colorful, and sparkly.  It was so very us.  Sort of a human habitrail and with all sorts of places for the cats to hide.  A bit later I was living in our awesome warehouse and it was great, except that it was more than 70 miles from my office.  I put up with the commute for as long as I could, and then finally we just had to move.  Spending 3-4 hours a day commuting via BART and carpool was leaving me exhausted.

So, we made the grown up decision and moved to a regular, white wall, beige carpet apartment.  Our place is nice.  It is roomy and we have a little enclosed patio which is very nice for the cats and for BBQing, but it was so different from what we were used to.  The ceilings were so low and the rooms didn’t have any personality of their own.  On the other hand, we had heat and a ceiling that didn’t leak for the first time in years, so it certainly was far from being all bad.
This garland was the first thing I did in the new place that made it start to feel like home.  It is just a pack of assorted colors and sizes of pom poms and some fishing line, but it adds so much color.  Arranged on the mirror it reminds me of solar system models.  B has since added the many strands of lights, and put up some disco balls, and the living room now feels very much more “us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment