Friday, April 1, 2011

An early sewing triumph

There are a lot of things I really love about this corset.

First of all, there is the shape it gives me, such smooth, graceful curves. I think it makes my torso look longer, which I appreciate because I am pretty short waisted. The shape of the bottom edge and the hip coverage have kept this corset in my wardrobe for a decade. The curvy bottom is very eye catching and feminine. The fit was excellent. I have since made garments that fit better, but for a first try, without a mock-up, this one is as close to perfect as it gets. In the intervening years I have gained and lost 70+ pounds, and I was able to wear this corset uring a lot of that time. It didn't always fit perfectly, but it was at least as good a fit as many off the rack corsets you see around.


I think the fabric is so pretty. It is a heavy weight, asian inspired upholstery brocade that I found on clearance at Hancock Fabrics. I had been saving it for a while, trying to come up with the perfect project for it, and I think this was definitely a winner. It is just polyester and the hand isn’t great, but the pattern is right up my alley. I actually just found a leftover scrap of it over the weekend while going through boxes of fabric. I don’t know if it is enough to do much with, but I still love this fabric.

I’m glad I went out of my way to get the black grommets. Brass would have been so distracting against this fabric, and I don’t think silver would have been much better. I actually made my own satin bias tape for this project. I rarely do that and it was a nice finishing touch for the corset, but we can talk more about bias and grommets tomorrow.

I have taken detail shots of the corset and I am more than a bit nervous about posting them tomorrow. It is one thing to say “The corset isn’t perfect,” and quite another to show exactly what is wrong with close up photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment