Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Updates and Self Care

Today my doctor extended my work restrictions for another 2 months.  Yet more news I didn't want to hear.  On the brigh side,  My medication side effects seem to be evening out.  Hopefully soon I ill know if thus combination is likely to work for me.  Hopefully.

It is so easy to get caught up in the health care circus and your own brain.  It is almost impossible not to.  Being told that it would likely be at least another 2 months until I am able to work was a huge blow.  I supposed it shouldn't have been unexpected, but every time I go to the doctor I hope that he sees some mystical sign of improvement that I have missed. With all the stress, frustration, and pain that are part and parcel of illness, self care is incredibly important. Sometimes that means taking a nap or using a stationery bicycle instead of cleaning the apartment, even if someone is coming over tomorrow.

I've started a little morning routine.  I'm not always able to stick to it, because doctors appoints and sick cats can disrupt any schedule, but here it is on an ideal morning:

  1. Take meds, brush teeth, etc.
  2. Put on glitter eyeshadow and lipgloss
  3. make something to eat, usually a smoothie
  4. spend at least 5 minutes working on a creative project

Taking a few minute to do something to make myself smile at the very beginning of the day can really help set the mood for the day! I'm starting to find the types of projects that work the best for my right now.  Crocheting is great because it isn't too physically active.  Resin crafting too, because the active portion, actually pouring resin in molds and bezels, only takes a few minutes at a time.  The waiting time for it to cure can seem like torture when you want to play with your new baubles. Sewing is more difficult.  leaning forward to use the sewing machine makes my back hurt rather quickly.  I want to try adjusting my work station to find something that is better for my body, but I haven't been able to do so yet.

Self care isn't always fun, but it makes you feel better in the long term.  Brian gave me a stationary pedals machine.  It let me exercise even when I don't feel up to going out for a walk.  I'm also planning on getting a manual treadmill.  Exercise is supposed to be hugely beneficial for fibro patients, and it is just healthy in general, so I think this will help!  Before I got sick I had taken up jogging.  I HATED doing it, but it made me feel so much better afterwards.  It really was amazing how much of a difference it made.  I've never been a particularly active person, so I was incredibly proud of myself the first time I ran a mile.  I would really like to get back to that, but I know it will take a lot of time.

I'm still learning how to take care of myself, but I think I am getting consistently better at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment