Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An easy fascinator

I made this a while back to go with an outfit I had put together.  Sorry I don't have a picture of myself wearing it, but it is surprisingly difficult to take a picture of the top of your own head.  I did manage to get on ok picture of it, but my nose looked huge and I refuse to post that online right now...

This was super easy and cost me all of $5.  The pink feathers are a pre-made feather pad.  I bought mine at Mendel's in the Haight in San Francisco.  They had them in about 10 different colors for $1.99 each.  They also had multi and natural colored pads for, I think, $3.99.
The Front

The Back

The feathers are glued onto a fabric foundation.  You could totally do this yourself, but for $1.99 I thought it was worth it to buy it ready made. 

The black feather puff is from Joann's


These come in black and white and have an alligator type clip attached.  I used the same feather clip in my little steampunk top hat.  They are cheap and make really cute hair clips by themselves.

The veil is a half circle of leftover glitter tulle that I bought for Halloween a couple of years ago.  It is about a foot across and gathered along the curved edge, then quickly stitched to the clip.  Putting this together took all of 20 minutes and it turned out really well. 

I am seeing more and more fascinators and tiny hats in accessories shops and they tend to be pretty pricey, for what they are.  I don't mind shelling out a decent amount of cash for something like that that has been made by another crafter, but I don't like to spend $30-$60 on few few scraps of feather and tulle that have been mass produced, so I decided to try making them myself and I was surprised by how easily you can get good results.  Mine aren't anywhere near as beautiful as some of what you can find on etsy, though

Check out this comic inspired one

I saw someone wearing one of these at WonderCon, and they are about 100 times cuter in person than they are in pictures, and they are pretty damn cute in pictures.  Janinebasil has lots of fun, glittery, pop culture inspired fascinators.  I think this one is my favorite because of my enduring love to Adam West as Batman.


CorrineONeill on Etsy make gorgeous feathery confections.  She manages to make things that are both elegant and in incredibly bright colors, which is a combination I love!

I think that is it for today.  As you can see I am a bit obsessed with little hats and accessories right now.  I'm really excited that headwear for girls is making a comeback.  What do you think about the trends?  Do you think they will be around for a while?

No comments:

Post a Comment